Monday, July 11, 2016

Little Dorrit~A review~


I have been away this weekend, to visit my grandparents, and we watched this mini-serie all over again. Second time. Or was it the third? Well, if you want to read about this weekend, with loads of blueberry's, you should take a look here. It is a blog about my two sisters, my brother and myself. Just a blog...about everything. Now, let us start with the review.

The music. The music was great, and lovely. Well done, John Lunn!


Amy"Little"Dorrit.
Amy is kind and caring. She is very timid and looks after her father. She doesn't care much about money and her inheritance, like Fanny and Tip do, but only wants to be happy, and see her family happy. Amy also doesn't want to upset her father, but she cannot adapt to the sudden richness. Claire Foy does a great job acting Amy.












Fanny Dorrit.
Fanny is....well, sometimes mean, even to family, but as I see it, she is very kind and misses her older life, and makes sacrifices, like marrying Edmund Sparkler, while she doesn't even love him. For me, she just cares much about money and fortune, but also for Amy. That's all. That's how I think of her.












Edward ''Tip'' Dorrit.
Tip....well he cares A LOT about money, and is ungrateful towards Arthur Clennam. Actually, I should say Edward, right? Because his father likes him to be called Edward and not ''Tip''. But I can't see any kindness in him, sorry to say it. I always try to look how kind someone is.













William Dorrit.
William Dorrit whines a lot about how nobody respects him and the other day about how everyone respects him, but Amy doesn't. I think he is just sad. He tries to forget the past in the Marshalsea when he is rich, but eventually he cannot forget it. In the end, when he almost died, he thought he was in his ''humble residence'' and all the rich people had to get out and he starts telling about his time in the Marshalsea and that he is ''the father of the Marshalsea'' and that Amy, his daughter is born in the Marshalsea, and all that. He talks about the past, but later died. I would not have thought it was sad that he died, if it was not for Frederick crying. That always makes me sad, when people cry in movies.


 Frederick Dorrit.      
He is friendly and cares much for his brothr and Amy. He does not often get angry, only that one time at the dining table. As like Amy, he cannot adapt to this sudden richness. He is one of my favourite characters, because he is so kind and shy.   









Arthur Clennam.
Arthur is kind and not always observant. At least not with the question Amy.  He is observant with the Dorrits and his mother. I do not have much to say about him.















Edmund Sparkler.
The ''absolutely'' Edmund Sparkler. He is really funny and not always that smart. He adores Fanny and says ''mater'' to Mrs. Merdle. He has really funny lines, like ''with no nonsens about her'' and ''he was such a fine stick''. He is really silly sometimes and has a funny voice. Sebastian Armesto plays his role very well.



Mr. Pancks.
 Mr Pancks is, however some may not notice it, very kind and a true detective. He is blamed to take away too much money from the people and nobody likes him. Everyone slams the door in his face when he calls ''rent!''. Only later everyone discovers who he actually is and he discovers about the Dorrits and the history between them and the Clennams. He helps Arthur and the Dorrits very much.

Rigaud
 Rigaud is an French murderer. He is mean, and scary. Andy Serkis isn't French actually, and he plays very well. He threatens Mrs Clennam with her secret, and kills Lion, Henry Gowans dog. Also Ephraim, Jeremiah's brother.















Mrs Clennam
Mrs Clennam is a grumpy, harsh, old woman. She has dark secrets and in the end, when her house collapses, she dies of a hart attack, after she showed the letters to Amy. Amy shows them to Arthur, and tells that Mrs Clennam begged for forgiveness, which she did. I felt sorry for Mrs Clennam. After all, she did love Arthur, and she liked Amy a lot. 

John Chivery.
 John Chivery is the assistant turnkey of the Marshalsea. He is kind, but a little bit dramatic. I really felt sorry for him when Amy reglected his proposal or when Mr Dorrit attacks him with the poker. That scene was funny, weird, and pitiful for John at the same time. The way he screamed ''No, no, no!'' was really weird. But I like John Chivery.








Pet Meagles.
 I didn't like Pet so much. In the end, I felt sorry for her, but I just didn't like her. Not because she reglected Arthur's proposal and married Henry Gowan, I was happy because of that. But I didn't like her, that's that.














Harriet ''Tattycoram''.
 Tattycoram(I just call her that, because I don't like the name Harriet. Tattycoram is not a nice name either, but better than Harriet)is very easily influenced. In the end, she is nice.















Miss Wade.
  Miss Wade is weird, and scary. I don't like her at all! She influences Tattycoram by being kind, so that she will be bad too. I have nothing further to say about her. 






 Mr. and Mrs. Plornish.
 Mr and Mrs Plormish shelter Cavalletto. Mrs Plornish has a funny opinion of speaking Italian. She just forms English a little bit. Mr Plornish doesn't speak much, only acts his wife. His wife, Mrs Plornish speaks a lot.





Maggy Plornish.
Maggy had fever when she was ten, so she thinks she is ten. She loves Amy, and sees her as a second little mother.  She is very sweet and innocent and loves cake and chicken. I like her very much.








Mr. and Mrs. Meagles.  

 Mr and Mrs Meagles neither want Pet to marry with Henry Gowan, and both want Pet to marry Arthur Clennam. They are very concerned about their daughter. Mrs Meagles is kind-hearted, but not understanding and not so very kind towards Tattycoram, like her husband.

Mr. and Mrs. Merdle.

 
 I don't like them both. Mrs Merdle is very mean and strict, while Mr Merdle is kinder and more quiet. He loves his parrot, while Mrs Merdle hates it. Mrs Merdle and Mr Merdel are not very similar. Mr Merdle kills himself, and Mrs Merdle must fully depend on Fanny and Edmund.

 Flora Finching.
Flora still loves Arthur, after all those years. I think she is funny, but annoying sometimes. Arthur feels very uncomfortable when she is around. But she is nice, and I like her.















Henry Gowan and his dog Lion.
 I do not like Henry Gowan. He is not so friendly anymore towards Pet and likes Rigaud. Lion is a nice dog. He died. That's a shame.
















Mrs. General.
  Mrs General only cared for the money of William Dorrit, that she concidered marrying him. I don't like her very much. 













 In the end, Arthur and Amy marry happily, with no debts, because of Arthur's friend Daniel Doyce.
This was all. 

The End. 














  






8 comments:

  1. Loved this mini-series! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. O, thank you very much, Ivy! Little Dorrit is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tagged you for Five Favorite Couples Tag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have noticed! Thank you for that!

      Delete
  4. Lovely review, Ruth.

    I never knew there were so many characters in Little Dorrit!

    Miranda Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Miranda!
    Yeah, there are quite a lot :)
    Did you see Little Dorrit? This one is the best. I didn't see the other, but they don't seem so nice. The 2008 is the best and has beautiful and well played characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth,

      No, I have not but I want to very much. I shall take your advice and watch the 2008 adaption.

      Miranda Jo

      Delete
    2. It isn't on Netflix, but you can lend it at the library or buy it(but that would be a shame if you don't like it). It is really very good. Maybe you can't understand first(what happened when I watched it for the first time), but later it becomes more clear. There is one scene, when...O, I can't say that, it would be a spoiler. Uhm...someone kills himself(Is that still a spoiler?).
      But he kills himself with a razor(he cuts himself in his neck), so that's not so nice to look at. Just to warn you ;)

      Delete